Path: Home Page > Tips > The historical monuments
THE CANAL OF BAŤA
This canal is the historical waterway on the Morava river. It is also possible to flow there now. The canal is passable from Spytihněv to Strážnice. There is an idea of extension of the canal to Petrov, through Huštěnovice, Uherské Hradiště, Kostelany n.Moravou, Uherský Ostroh, Veselí n.Moravou and Vnorovy.
This attraction is strongly visited with many tourists who can look at the area all around from the water. For the visitors there are some variants of the stay with the possibilty of combination with cykloturism.
For better information about the interesting places and for the reservation there is a possibility to contact this address: Benátky, Chata Babeta, 698 13 Veselí nad Moravou, phone: 0631/322400 (July, August), or Masarykova 119, 698 13 Veselí n.Moravou, phone: 0631/3250330, the help line (reservation): 0603/579 456.
In the present it is possible to travel in 43km of the original route of Baťa canal and 17km are connected with other rivers. The visitors when flowing on the river can visit the towns such as Otrokovice and Strážnice. In 1999, more than 14 250 visitors visited the waterway.
The first mention about Bojkovice is dated in the year 1362 and it belonged to the domination of Světlov. In that period of time Albert of Šternberk was noted as from Bojokovice.
In 1449, Bojkovice were called as a small town with many different craft, the interessting place took the pearly craft - the button craft.
The castle Nový Světlov was built in Gothic style, there is placed an exposition of the Public museum in Bojkovice instead of the place for living, restaurants and wine bars. It is open daily from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The phone is: 0633/641 440
It is the ruin of the king castle. During the archeological research it was possible to succeed two stages of older settle. The older belonged to the Púchov culture from the period before the turn of the year, the younger from the period of the second half of 12th century. It was a fortified seat but in the first half the rocky castle was bulit.
The oldest written message about the Brumov castle is from the year 1255. The next message is about it from 1271 with the connection with fights that were made in period of the Czech - Hungarian War. The owner of the castle became Ulric from Hradec, who had a function of the king governor. In 1342 one the messages is dated from Charles IV. In the half of 16th century there was made a radical change of the appearance of the whole castle. The castle was changed to the comfortable manorial seat and with the new fortification it started to be an imposing hill - fort.
There is put an exposition of the archaeological discoveries and some cultural actions are made here, e.g. the live Chess - where the winners of the competitions of this game try to compete.
The castle opens from the beginnig of May, You can visit the Jew cementary - the one in the wide area or you can try to find the interesting things about the writer Ludvík Vaculík, who was born there.
The valuable architecture from the period of Renaissance of the castle can show us the good style of John Šembera from Boskovice, the artist who was responsible for this construction and who did the project. The casle has 3 floors and arcades on 3 sides of the courtyard. The architect from Brno Pietro Gabri with an Italian origin built it between the years 1575 - 1585.
The visitors of the castle can be surprised with the mannerism ornamentation of the room for Emperor and with the Bird Hall. This ornamentation is unique in Bohemia and Moravia. In the room of the Emperor room we cannot pass the figures of Diana, Mars, Evropa and the emperor Charles V. These tableaus and figures denote the ancient history and antic mythology. The beautiful paintings can be seen in Room of Venus, in the Hall of five senses and in the castle chapel. On the arch there are drawn the scenes from the world where the rabbits behave as people, they fight as people, they serve their rabbit king by the feast and they catch the people.
This important king castle was not defeated and arised on the hill in the area of Chřiby around the half of 13th century. The oldest part of the castle is a tower with thick walls was connected with the palace and with other tower again.
John Žďánský from Zástřizly made the last extension of the castle by the Renaissance reconstruction in the years 1540 - 1558. In 17th century some baroque reconstruction were done. From the beginning of the 19th century until the end of the Second World War the owners of the castle were the members of the family Berchotld who had this castle in a very good condition and they changed the part of the castle into the museum. After them there stayed some collections of the products of the nature and antiques, that were open in the half of the 19th century to the public.
The interiors of the castle show us the development of the indoor culture from 15th to 19th century. Instead of the rooms for living, the large natural collections and a rich bookcase, it is possible to have a look at the burial vault of the owners of the castle in the chapel of St. Barbara, not far away from that.
The castle is open from April to October except from Monday, in July and in August including Monday.
The memorable trees - the summer oak with the age around 3OO years, in the year 1992 it was restored (on the south from the castle, close to the parking by the main road) and the summer oak with the age around 2OO years (north-west from the castle).
The castle in Buchlovice arised in the end of 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century. It is said that Dětřich from Petřvald let to built it for his Italian wife called Eleonor, who was used for the warm climate on the south and so she could not adapt to the cold rooms on the Buchlov castle. The Petřvalds had in the attribute a peacock so you can meet in the area of the castle and in the near park with these proud animals.
The architect was an Italian Carol Fontana. The castle with low baroque cupolas is divided by the courtyard on two separated half-circled buildings with quads. The main lower castle and the upper agricultural building called Flora. These two buildings together have in the centre a rocky fountain. In the lower castle there is a hall with two floors and with frescos, the theme of the frescos are natural elements, the seasons of the year and the mythology. The castle was decorated with Baltazar Fontana. The castle is equipped with the Baroque, Rococo, Empire style and with the furniture of Classicism. In the second half of 2Oties, the castle was under reconstruction of the architect Dominic Feye. He built new stud farms and from the original stud farms he made the comfortable flats. In the lower castle, there were built bathrooms to the bedrooms, and he renovated the bookcase and the dinning-room.
To the castle belongs a garden and a park that were connected with the construction of the castle in 18th century. To the garden we can use rocky stairs and we can walk around the fountain with statuettes.
The French garden comes continuously into the English park full of unusual coniferous and leafy trees. At the end of the park there is pavilion with the exposition of fuchsias. In the cemetery chapel of St. Elizabeth from the year 1619 there can be seen the sepulchral stones of the mayors from Zástřizly from 16th and 17th century.
In Buchlovice there worked a writer Frederic Beneš Buchlovan (1885-1953). The castle and the park are open from April to October daily except from Monday, in July and August including Monday.
The centre of tourism and relaxation with the mountain chalet in Chřiby. On 29th April 1945, there should be given a captured Nazi general Hugo Müller to the soldiers of John Žižka. In this time the car came to Bunč with the members of SS but the majority of them was killed there by the gunfight. The partisans had to return with the general to the base. The fascists were called and they burned the mountain chalet with the objects around. In August 1965, the monument with the names of all people who died there was exposed.
BYSTŘICE POD HOSTÝNEM
The town Bystřice pod Hostýnem is in the hills of Hostýn in the altitude of 308 metres. The first written mention about this town comes from the year 1368. There can be found a castle from the Renaissance period, the parochial church of St. George and the cemetery. The town has about 8760 people. The industry in this area is mainly done by timber trade. Bystřice pod Hostýnem is one of the gates to Valachia.
In this town the ways to Hostýn and to the hills of Hostýn start and there can be found many tourists in all the seasons of the year. The river Bystřička flows through Bystřice and it has the source not far away from the place called Tesák. On the upper reaches of the river it is called the trouty river and after 17,7km close to Dřevohostice it pours into the river Moštěnka, the left tributary of Morava.
The climate is mildly warm with the average temperature of 8,3°C (in Januray -2,4°C, in July +17,7°C) and the average rainfalls 720 mm of the year.
The castle was built by Bernard from Cimburk in the year 1330 close to the important trade ways. The grandson of the founder called Ctibor sold the castle in 1358 to the Moravia margrave called John Henry. The castle was conquered by the wars of George from Poděprady with Matthias Korvín in 1488. Later on it was hold by the lords from Víckov (1532-1568) and Hovecký from Hovka (1607-1742). From the year 1709 it is indicate as desolated. In these days it is a monumental ruin with Gothic and Renaissance features of the castle.
The first messages about this village is from 1391. The important source of living were the products such as wooden equipment made at home. The monument of the folk architecture is a house with the number 11 that is taken to that village from Jasenná. On the north direction from the village there can be found a natural monument called the Holík reservation with the rocky hill. In this reservation there are many mountaineering lines.
It is a peak (735m) that is clearly visible form the long distance. There is a lookout, a wind power station. This peak is full of legends that can be found in many literal works. From this dominant of the hills of Hostýn comes also one of the stones that was used for the construction of the National Theatre in Prague.
Many seats of Slovans were found here by the archaeologists as well. There is also a Baroque temple of Madonna from the years 1721 - 48, later rebuilt.
At the end of 19th century there was built a cloister, the chapel of John Sarkander and the hotel for pilgrims. From the temple there descends a rocky staircase to the Water chapel. The cruciate route of D.Jurkovič and J.Köhler from the years 1904 - 1933 is also very valuable. There is a group of 500 memorable trees with the circumference of 340cm.
The village Hošťálková was founded in 1505. From the year 1674 it became a separate manor that in 1777-81 started to be the centre of the Valachians for the freedom in religion. There is a castle that belonged to Chorynský from Ledské. In the castle there is a hall that is used as a memorial hall of the partisan revolt in Valachia. In the surroundings there are the ruins of partisans bunkers.
The castle Chropyně is a building in the simple style, with two floors and with many windows. The building is covered with the red roof and with a tower. In the front of the castle there is a little arcade and not far away from it there is a rocky well. There was an old fortress and it was in 1615 rebuilt for the castle in Renaissance.
The reconstruction was done in the years 1701-1703 by Matthias Porst among the project G.P.Tencalla and the castle was enlarged and heighten. Around the year 1850 there were done some changes in the Romantic style in the interior of the castle.
In the rooms of this castle we can see the large collection of weapons, the collection of the tish dishes, the room of the king Ječmínek or the beautiful ceiling with the portraits of former nobles from Chropyně.
At the beginning of 16th century there were the manors from Ludanic in Chropyně who were very good friends with the manors from Kunštát. In 1520, the owner of Chropyně was Ignatius from Ludanic who annoyed the cottars with the excessive corvée.
Podnětem ke zřízení stálého panského obydlí byla značná odlehlost a i nehostinnost obytných prostor hradu Cimburka. In 1611 there is a first mention about the manorial house on the hill behind the presbytery. In 1631 there was a chapel close to it. Because of the extension the fortress was called in 17th century as a castle.
But in this period of time the fortress did not satisfied the people so in 1677 Francis Gabriel Horecký built on this place a castle in the Baroque style. In the years 1848-1851 the castle in Koryčany was ownered by Constantine from Münch - Belinghausen, after him Saloman Rotschild was the owner and William Figdor and Herman Wittgenstein after him.
The beautiful garden and the english park belonged to the castle around the year 1718. Individual parts were divided from each other with the parkways of the lindens or conkers. To the important wood that are in the park belong some firs and spruces. A huge beech with red leaves cannot be overlooked.
In the present the castle assists to the school intention.
The Jew cemetery is on the north-eastern part of the town, close to the street Cihelna. In the area of the cemetery there are about 200 tombstones, the oldest preserved stone comes from the year 1674 and the last funeral was there in 1942. Because of the robberies, many new tombstones are cut down.
In 1948, the Jew cemetery was distroyed by the attacks of Vandals from teenagers. In 90ties, the Jew cemetery was placed among the cultural monuments that saved by the state.
The historical town in the country is inhabited from the beginning of the history. The original trade village became the possession of the bishops from Olomouc in the first quarter of 12th century. This village in the area of Slovans around the year 1260 was promoted to the town. The bishops constructed in Kroměříž the representative summer residence. This town was destroyed in the area of wars, in 17th century mainly by the Swedish army in the Thirty years´ war.
The historical centre of Kroměříž was preserved in the industrial area as well. The important chapter of the history makes the year 1848 when the Imperial congress of the Austrian monarchy took place. The proposal with the democratic elements entered into the history of the Czech statehood and the beginning of democracy in the middle Europe
The archiepiscopal castle in Kroměříž is the dominant of the historical centre of the town. Its origin is connected with the history of the Olomouc archiepiscopal and the village that was in 13th century promoted to the town. The original castle was the residence of Olomouc archiepiscopal.
The flower garden as an element of the architectonic activity of Charles II. Lichtenstein - Kastelkron in the second half of 17th century on the swampy soil behind the walls of the town. The realisation of the project of the flower garden is the work of the authors of the architecture of the castle Phil. Lucchese and G.P. Tencalla. The authors and craftsmen created the model for the gardens in the central Europe that was coming from the gardens in Italy by the composition of the buildings such as a gallery called Colonade, 224 metres long, with 44 statues and 46 busts of antique statues or with the Rotund, decorated with frescos and statues. On the roof of the gallery there is sightseeing footbridge that let you see the geometry of the ways and the panorama of the town. In 19th century there was the original entrance to the gallery substituted by the construction of new building in the classical style and with two big greenhouses.
The next monuments in Kroměříž that are good to visit are the Undercastle garden and the episcopal mint.
Květná a podzámecká zahrada a mincovna
The ruin of the castle on the hill (506m) belonged to Vladyks from Dobrotice until the year 1365, later on it belonged to Kunštáts and Cimburks. In the second half of 15th century the castle got lost because in 1481 it is said to be deserted.
Only the part of the peripheral wall and the basic stone are preserved.
The village north-west from Otrokovice is dated in 1141 as a possession of Olomouc bishops. In 14th century as a town with the fortress it was the centre of the feudal farm of the manors from Benešov. Later on, the governors were Kužels from Žeravic, Šternberks, manors from Ludanic,… Ferdinand d´Este went to the forests for hunting very often because one of the owner was his brother-in-law. The original castle built in Renaissance got its appearance after the last architectonic change in 19th century.
It is also the birth place of the historian Marian Ulmann (1694-1765), the journalist and the writer Leopold Hansmann (1824-1863), the pedagogue and the writer Henry Spáčil (1889-1978). In the area of Kvasice there are some memorable trees.
The village that arised at the end of 18th century in the middle of the woods. In 19th century the ceramic goods were produced there. In the village there is a typical wooden Valachian bell tower from the year 1925.
It was built at the beginning of 30ties according to the project of the architect F.L.Gahura. The initiator was a public doctor, dr.R.Gerbec.
The sylvan cemetery was done as a common cemetery for the villages of Zlín. The big stone with Gahura plastic art of Jesus dominates there. It was consecrated on All Souls´ Day in 1932. Thomas Baťa and A.Brouček were one of the first buried there. From the year 1978, the crematorium takes place there and the author is the architect George Čančík. The area of the natural place is 21 ha.
The castle became the seat of the family Salern after the leaving from the Lukov castle. The simple castle was built in the years 1809 - 10 and it was refilled in the years 1818 - 23 by the Tyrol house. On the place of the castle in the year 1893 the new romantic seat appeared. It was built according to the plans of J. Mick and V.Siedek with other objects ( power station, stud farms, riding-school,…)
Around the year 1929, it was the beginning of ZOO. From the year 1948, the whole place is in the service of the cultural area of Zlín.
The first messages of the Slovan inhabitants are in this area in 7th and 8th century, the archaeological findings show it in Obora by Luhačovice. After the centuries the area was not permanently inhabited. It was the border area that dealt with many unfriendly attacks. The first written message about Luhačovice we know from the year 1412.
In 1590, Luhačovice belonged to the family of Bartoloděj from Bartoděj. In 1692, Luhačovice were sold to Gabriel Sereny who started to think about the use of the medical water for business. The count Andrew Serenyi let to regulate the spring of the medical water and gave it the name Gurguling (because of the noise). At the end of 18th century it was renamed by the name derived from the first name male member of the noble family. In this case it was the name of Amand Serenyi and so the name was Amandka. At the beginning of 20th century, the idea of the spa was realised by Dušan Jurkovič. His sense for the environment we can admire by the visit of Jurkovič´s house on the Spa square, on the beautifully reconstructed Sunny spa, in the building Jestřabí and in the water cured institute.
In the area of Luhačovice, there rise 16 hydro carbonated chloride sodium acidulous water and one sulphur spring. In every hour there come to the surface 15 thousand litres of the mineral water, it contains a big amount of minerals, mainly sodium, calcium, magnesium, chlorine, iodine, the acid of carbonic, soluble oxide carbonic. The temperature of the risen water is between 10-12°C. The most famous springs are: Vincentka, Aloiska, Ottovka, Pramen of Dr.Šťastný and St.Joseph.
The ruin of the castle makes evident that it has the Romantic character and that it was built before the half of 13th century. But the first written mention is found from the year 1332 and it is said that it was a possession of the family of Šternberk. The Gothic and Renaissance reconstruction enlarge the object into the large castle area. In 1614, Albrecht from Valdštejn got the castle by the marriage but in 1626, the Valachian rebels empowers it. Later on, in 1643 the Swedes occupied the castle and they destroyed it by their retreat
By the long governing of Minkvicburks (1632-1710), the castle was kept in a good condition ale later on it started to decay. After the half of the 18th century the owners, the counts of Seilerns, left it and let it for its fate. The large settlement round the castle is from the castle divided by the deep moat. The massive pillar columns, the rests of the palace, towers and the peripheral walls were preserved.
It is a famous pilgrimige place with the church of Madonna, in the Baroque style. There is a cruciate route from the church to the chapel on the hill. There is a spring of the remedial water.
The castle on the rocky mountain not far away from Zlín was probably built by the Moravian margrave John Jindřich after the year 1360. Later on, the reconstruction under the influence of Gothic and Renaissance was done here. The modern-day form gave to Malenovice the Baroque modifications in the period of the owners from the family of Liechtenštejn-Kastelkorn. In the interiors of the castle we can look though the archaeological collections and the expositions about the history of orientational run.
The village is arised in 1366 with the connection of the legend. The purport of the small town increased in the year 1840 when in the closeness there was built The Northern Rail of Ferdinad, the rail Břeclav-Přerov. In 1898 it was promoted to the town. In 20th century a large industrialisation came about - the enterprise for engines Slavia ČKD and the enterprise for the production of the rubber goods and the plastic material Fatra.
In Napajedla there is announced a Public monumental zone. The parochial church of St.Bartholomew with the statues of St. Petr and Pavel, was built in 1710-1712. By the staircase to the church, there can be found many statues of St. Cyril, St. John, St. Ludmila, St. Method and St.Venzel. To the area of the castle belongs the area of the stud farm where the auction are organized.
In the present this stud farm is the most famous producer of the racing horses in the Czech republic (around 60 foals per year).
Behind the factory buildings of Fatra, the part of the building of the mineral spa. The first mentions about the remedial waters come from the 16th century, by the construction of the railway in 19th century the part of the springs got lost. One of the springs is taken out and it is used for drinking and cooking.
The baroque castle from the half of 18th century (the architect F.A.Grimm)was in 1945 confiscated and in 50ties destroyed and the interior was sold. It is not available for the people. The castle park is the self-praise and the place for the rest. It was built in 18th century in the English style. The noble owners left there The club of culture, the puppets performance, the sports field and the tennis courts.
This castle is belongs to one of the highly placed castles in Moravia, except of the castles in Jeseníky.
This castle can be found in the area of Chvalčov, 15km south-east direction from the Hostýn peak and with the peaks of Skalný and Čerňava it makes the strong dominat of the country. This type of the castle is connected with two towers and ot has in the Czech architecture some analogies. In Bohemia, the castle Trosky, on Slovakia the castle Kamenica that is less famous. Although Obřany were not finished according to the original project, the castle was used for half a century as a centre of the manor..In the 15th century it got to the definitive decline.
It was the village that was from the year 1944 used as a seat of the Partisans. The Nazi commando was sent there on 19th April 1945 to fire the village. In the burning buildings burned about 24 inhabitants. After the freedom the new buildings and a chapel were built there.Today there is an exposition of the Regional museum in Zlín, on the bulge there is a monumental monument of the revolt.
The archaeological foundings show that the people lived there in 13th century, in 17th century there was a chapel and iron hammer-mills. But the village arised in 1721. From 1803 the manufacture made a ceramic there. For the process of wood cultivitation the steam sawmill was used.For the floating of the wood they used the water reservoirs on Juhyň and on Rosošný stream. There is a remarkable tradition of the burning of wood coal (Rosošné and Uhliska).
There is some mention about Roštín in 1240. The Gothic cemetery church of St. Jakub by the way to Cetechovice, originaly it was an element of the defuncted village Jablonné. The parochial church of St.Anna in the village from the years 1847-49 is on the place of older chalet from 1777. On the hill there was found a redoubt with the mounds from the prehistoric period.
It is the birthplace of the pedagogic and the writer Josef Mrázek (1848-1923). South-east from the village there is a Roštín chalet from the year 1907.
This village was founded in 1650 under the name Rotalovice, the Hostýn hills. The source of living was mainly the breeding of the farm animals and the work in woods. The houses with numbers 16, 20, 31, 42, 43, 52 and 113 belong to the landmarks of the folk architecture.
In the village worked famous artists, painters H. Schweiger, A. Kašpar and many others. For the memory of the Slovak poet Svetozar Hurban Vajanský the spring was named by him.
This village called Rymice belongs to the oldest villages in the area, it is argued by many archaelogical foundings. Ignác Tabarka belonged to the collectors. Some foundings from this area are placed in the museum in Holešov. The first written mention about Rymice is from the year 1353 when Záviš from Dobrotice left some money to his wife.
To the most famous owners of this village belonged Albrecht from Valdštejn. He married in 1609 with the owner called Lukreci Nekeš who owned the manor of Rymice. She left to write the possession 1610 for her husband, the manor of Lukov and Vsetín belonged to him too.
The dominated building in the village are the fortress, built in the half of 16th century, the church of St.Bartoloměj from the year 1786 and the school that was built with 22,000 of golden in the year 1893. The village is famous with the buildings of the folk architecture that belong to the museum of Kroměříž. We can find there a saddler workshop, a smithy and many other buildings that are covered with the thatched roof. Many buildings are open to the public, the windmill as well.
In the year 1517 the castle was built, On the northern part of the hill we can find a prehistoric redoubt. In the area of the castle there is a preserved natural creation called The Devil stone, it is a geologic rocky formation from the huge sandstones.
SEHRADICE castle (Sehrad, Engelsberk, Tetov)
There are the ruis of the castle built in the half of 13th century. The castle with the manor belonged to the bishops of Olomouc, about the year 1400 the Cimburks governed there. The castle became deserted after the half of 15th century. In the area there the rest of the moat and the bulwark.
The first historical mention about this area comes the list of bishop Henry Zdík from the year 1141. In the centre of the town there is a Baroque castle from the year 1750 that ownes the family of Wichterl. In these day sit is used mainly for the hospitable purposes. The park near to the castle was founded in the second half of 18th century and changed on the English park. In the park there is a large natural amphiteatre, volleyball field, akittle alley, the wooden pavilion for dancing and the children playground.
On the square in the centre of the town there is a building called Thrift institution. In the year 1893 the built house was the centre of the cultural and social life. There was a library, performances took place there etc.In the ground floor of the building there is a restaurant there, in 1st floor there are some smaller rooms and the hall for representation with the well-preserved ceiling painting that was restored in 1999. This town became famous in the Middle Ages with the profession of geldering. The people who were responsible for this profession released the stud farm animals of the genitals to make them calm.
To this remarkable trade is given an exposition in the local museum
The town museum, Misárkova 15
The exposition: the archeological collections, ethnographical landmarks, documents from the life and work of geldering, the documents about the aerial battle in 1944.
STARÝ SVĚTLOV castle
The ruins of the castle from the Middle Ages built in 14th century.In 1360 it belonged to the family of Šterneberk, after the battles there governed the Hungarian warrior called Pankrác from the Saint Nicolas. In the second half of 15th century it was abandoned, from 16th century it is marked as dead. In the area there are the moats, bulwarks and the mean rest of the walls.
The ruin of the Gothic castle on the forested hill (608 m) above the village called Podhradní Lhota, was built after the year 1272 by the bishop of Olomouc called Bruno from Šaumburk. In the period of Hussite wars it was conquered by the Hussites. Because its owners, the knights from Bítov, worried the area so the local sheriff in 1451 let the castle demolish. Only the moats and the rest of the bulwarks are preserved.
The ruins of the castle that was there in the year 1261 was in the late of 13th century tebuilt and from the half of 16th century it is dead. Close to the castle there is a memorable tree - the Ctibor´s tree. Today there is a torso of an old oak that is more than 500 years old.
ŠTÍPA - VĚTŘÁK
The windmill is by the house with the number 130 and about 500 metres south-east from the village, on the right side of the road from Šťípa to Hvozdná, the building number 93/3, the location On the Větřák.
It was built in the years 1958-60 by Kristián Kovář from Štípa. The structure of the windmill did on his own with the help of his son Josef. The windmill worked for the people of the villages in the surroundings until the Second World War. It was sealed then but by the war it worked in the secret.
In the year 1964 was the windmill taken from the owner Rudolf Kovář and it was given to state hands. In the present days the son of Rudolf Kovář acquired it in the restitution.
The windmill is an evidence of the folk construction and it is one of this landmark preserved in the area of Zlín. In the windmill there was preserved the complete technical furnishings.
There are some foundings of the containers, jewellery, weapons and many other things from the period of 9th and 10th century that are now in local national history museum in Olomouc. There is also a break of Spáčil educational route in Chřiby.
This old-time village is supported in the year 1141. There is a Gothic church of St. Jacob, valuable landmark, built in the second half of 13th century with the paintings from 14th century. On the mound over the village there is a shadow of the ancient fortress, by the road to Sazovice there is a Baroque chapel with the old linden.
The royal town Uherské Hradiště was founded by the Přemysl Oráč II. In the year 1257 with the aim of the safeguard of the south-east border of the Czech empire against the invasions. From the half of 14th century it was fortified by the rocky bulwark that was in the next century improved. In the Middle Ages this town belonged to the famous towns in Moravia.
In the period of 15th and 16th century it had the biggest progress, it was the period of the reign of Jiří z Poděbrad.
In the next centuries there were many hostile attacks and military invasions, there were also frequent fires and epidemies. In the year 1782 the fortress was closed. In 19th century the town became the seat of the authority and the town enlarged from the original bulwarks. The historical centre of the town preserved the original Gothic ground plan with the later Baroque built-up area with the rests of the bulwark walls and with many houses. The late Gothic town hall from 15th century with the tower makes a dominant of the town. The church of Madonna belongs to the complex of the Franciscan cloister. It was built in 15th and 16th century and from the original construction many things have changed. The Baroque church of St. František Xaverský was built by Jan Jeroným Canevall in the years 1670-85 according to the project of Jan Dominik Orsi. The Baroque imperial armory, built in the years 1721-23 according to the plans of Jakub Allbla and Leandra Anquisola. Today there is the object of the Gallery of Moravian Sloavak museum where the expositions of the Czech and foreign artists, concerts and other cultural actions take place.
The important place of pilgrimage connected with Great Moravian empire and with the tradition of Cyril and Metoděj.In the village there is a Cistercian cloister founded in the year 1205 by the Moravian margrave Vladislav Jindřich and named after the village Veligrad, Staré Město nowadays. The objects of the cloister were built in the late Romanesque style with the features of Gothic. In the year 1421, the cloister was destroyed by the Moravian Hussites and after the reconstruction it was destroyed again in the year 1681 by the fire. The present appearance it got in Baroque that lasted until the year 1735.
The basilica contains of many valuable artistic works, the frescos of P.Pagani, F.I.Egstein amd J.J.Etgens, the altar pictures of I Raab. By the reforms of Josef II. The cloister was canceled in the year 1784 but restored again in 1890. In 1990, Velehrad was visited by the Pope Jan Pavel II. The finds are mainly from the Roman-Gothic period of the existencion of the cloister and they are open in the underground lapidary.
VELKÉ TĚŠANY, the windmill
On the south direction of Kroměříž, in the valley between the northern overhangs of Chřiby, there is a village called Velké Těšany. On the south-west over the village, not far away from the forest Chvaletiny, about 200 metres from the road that goes from the village Vrba, there was in 20ties of 19th century built a windmill. It was very useful in this area because of the good meteorological conditions of the area and the lack of the water. On 14th August 1830 Josef Bartoň bought a land from the village for the construction of the windmill.
On 14th August 1890 the windmill was destroyed by the strong wind tornado that blew over the village. Josef Páter called the carpenter who reconstructed the windmill. He came from the old family of the wind millers from Janovic by Nový Jičín where he was on 5th August 1869 born.Because he was not able to support the family (11children) he had to buy some more fields so he farmed on 3,4 hectares of the agricultural soil. Because there was so much to do, the windmill was the centre of the social centre of Velké Těšany and of the villages neighbourhood. The famous writer Jindřich Spáčil took part there very often. From the talks with the miller Josef Páter the novel " The windmill under Kříb" originated. In this novel he described the fortunes of that place and the family of the last millers called Paters.
After the war the mill decayed but at the end of 60ties the slide of the mill threatened, it was purchased by ONV in Kroměříž because she could not do the expensive reconstruction. By the reconstruction some important problems appeared.
The windmill in Velké Těšany belongs to the pillars (german), it is two-floored wooden building with the ground plan 5,65 x 5,57 metres and with the ridge roof. The construction of the mill is almost the same as all the mills in Moravia.
Because of the reconstruction pf the mill in Velké Těšany, the important technical landmark in the area of Kroměříž was protected.
According to the document of Oldřich Páter and PHDr.Miroslav Válka from the year 1984. The material and the information we thank to Mrs Chrastinová who is the immediate descendant of the family Páter. She is also able to show you around the windmill.
On the original place of the Cistercian cloister in 1570 there began a construction of the castle in Reneissance. The name of the architect was Zdeněk Kavka from Říčany, the castle was called in that period of time The new Smilheim. In the half of 18th century there was a big reconstruction for the provost from Brno called Heřman Hanibal from Blümegen.
The old castle was destroyed and on this place new modern castle appeared in the French style of Ludvík XVI. This reconstruction was made by the archirtect František Antonín Grimm from Brno. This castle is two-floored building with 3 wings in the shape of the letter U. The castle is covered with the attic roof with dormer-windows.The main hall is put above the entrance. The walls and the cupolas of the hall are covered with paintings from the year 1757. The interiors of the castle are equiped with the furniture from the period of Baroque, Rococo, Classicism, with the mirrors from Venice, the tiled stove and with the Chinese, Japanese, Viennese porcelain. To the biggest boast of the castle belongs the picture collection of the Dutch experts that was founded by Heřman Hanibal from Blümengen and the owners in the collection continued. In the left wing of the castle there is a chapel with the sculptural decorations from Ondřej Schweigel. The statues from this author are in the garden that is behing the castle.
The former pub, the important crossroad of touristic routes, 561 metres above the sea, on the main peak of Chřiby hills.Originaly this pub called Vlčák belonged to the farm house of Cetechovice and it served as a post office on the crossroad of the post routes. During the Second World War it was one of the point of departure of Partysans. In the present, the pub is out of order and it function as a private place for recreation. In the close area, the north and north-west direction, there are some reef with the names The rock of Gavenda (569,2m), Vodova rock, Endlicher rock and Janečka rock.
About 200 metres to the northern direction there is one of the stream of Kotojedka with the good drinkable water.
This place is in the 480mentres above the sea and 1km on the west direction from Stará Hutě. The former manor house built about the year 1860 takes the name after the founder, the owner of the Buchlov manour house, Zikmund II. Bertochld. The manor was built in the connection of the stud farm in Buchlovice that belonged to the most famous one in Moravia. For horses there was an ideal place after the cutting of the woods. They stayed here for the whole summer but for the winter they moved to Buchlovice. In 1886, the stud farm had 86 horses. After the Zikmund´s death, the breeding of the horses decreased and the manor was used for the breeding of sheep.
On border of the meadow there was an old oak with the large top. This tree was said to be aan orientation point on the old military maps - By the wide oak (Zur breiten Eiche). In its hollow there were hidden the wayfarers and herdsmen by the rain and they lighted the fire. One day by this activity the oak burnt down, it was in 1912 and so it did not exist nowadays. There were counted 350 tree rings on one branch.
The town Zlín has 90,000 people and it is the industrial and business centre of the region of thee south Moravia. The history of the town is dated to the Middle Ages (the first written mention is from the year 1322). Zlín was the seat town of the owners of the manor and it increased with the development of the autonomy.
The change in this development brought the industrial revolution. The important year of the history of Zlín was the year 1894 when the shoemaking firm of Baťa family was established.Because of the great increase and the prosperity of the firm and the influence of Tomáš Baťa, who was also the mayor of the town, Zlín became in the period between two World Wars a modern town centre with great architecture and the living style. The enormous architectural activity of Tomáš Baťa and his team of famous architects (J.Kotěra, F.L.Gahura, M.Lorenc, V.Karfík) changed the town with 5,000 people on the town with 43,000 people. In this period of time, the time between World Wars, these buildings were built: the Moskva hotel, the Big cinema, the skyscraper (the administrative building a.s.Svit), the House of art, the building for studying, the evangelical church and many other buildings. The cultural interest of the town are the Film ateliers of Zlín that became famous in 6Oties because of the animated films and the trick films of Karel Zeman and Hermína Týrlová.
The business Baťa tradition and good geographical location are two factors that influenced the reality that after the change of the regime in 1989 there started a sharp increase of business activities that oversteps the average of the Czech republic.
The castle is the most famous historical landmark in Zlín, it was rebuilt about the year 1780 and 1905. From the year 1929 it is the possession ofthe town, there is a museum and many halls for exhibitions of the State gallery. There is a lasting exhibiton of the travelers Hanzelka and Zikmund. The dominat of the square there is a town hall, built in the years 1922-1924 according to the project of F.L.Gahura.
It is also called the New castle, Bulwarks or Bastion. The ruin of the castle was founded in the year 1307 and its existence could be related with the close castle Šaumburk. There are preserved only the walls, moats and the bulwarks.
web & design WEBHOUSE®, editorial system vismo®